wickED - International Year of Rice
Link: no longer online
Size: 3 pages
My professional status: contractor at CWA New Media
Website client: Ministry of Education
Dates: May 2004
Brief: to design a new "theme" for the wickED website. The wickED website is aimed at kids and showcases a new theme every month, with activities for the kids to do based on that theme. The artwork features the three wickeED characters and has to fit in with the existing look and feel of the website. Each theme features a homepage and two activities pages. The design is simple, straightforward, attractive to kids and easy for them to understand and follow.
My responsibilities included:
- Design of the homepage and two activities pages within the theme of International Year of Rice
- The three wickED characters had to feature strongly in the design, and there needed to be clear links between the three pages, but beyond that I was free to create whatever I liked
- Photoshop manipulation of existing character graphics to fit the new theme
- Freehand drawings of rice plants from my sketches, for incorporation into the design
- Liaison with the developer to ensure that my design was achievable within the framework of the existing wickED template.
This was a fun little project. I like designing for kids - I think my natural design style suits their needs and my experience as a teacher probably helps, too. It was interesting to have to include the characters in new poses and costumes, and it's always nice to be able to do sketches and Photoshop work to complete the design.